We started to follow the fortunes of the club when Bryan Robson was the captain of the team. I believe it was back in the early 80s, in fact it would have to be before the 1986 infamous "Hand of God" goal in the World Cup, that we got into football, and I guess the only person we knew then was Bryan Robson, and the team he was playing for was Manchester United. So, that's how we started... Me and me cousins, 3 of us, became MU supporters. Will we were not fanatic followers like some, but I think we would be term as true blue supporter as we had stick to the team for so, so long...
So, how the trip got planned? Simply started by trying to find out how to get tickets to matches at Old Trafford... This include sending an email to manutd.co.uk. The sales executive for the Hospitality packages replied with the Hospitality information, but at first we thought it was a little expensive. Imagine spending about $500 on the package... However, to just get a match ticket is not as easy as we thought it would be... You can only start bidding for tickets in which the season holders were not able to attend and gave up their tickets and you can only bid for the tickets through 1 agency and they only start the bidding 1 month before the match. So, if we were to go that route, it's impossible for us to finalise the other areas of the trip, including accommodation and flights... Yes, finally we decided to go for the Hospitality package. This package basically includes the match ticket, the match programme, if you were driving - a car park lot (if I recall correctly), 10% discount voucher at Megastore, a souvenir gift and a 3-course dinner/lunch depending on your selection of pre-match or post-match package. Of course, depending on the package you chose, you might have more stuff added to it. I only based it on the package we had. If you want to, you can see it in their website... I think we chose the cheapest of the Hospitality package... Can't help it as we had to factor in the exchange rate which was almost 3 times - so if the price is at 100 quid, it will be 300 SGD!!!
Anyway, it was a good game that we had witness, we trash Aston Villa 4 - 0!!! My cousin was so excited that she had "videoed" one of Rooney's goal, although it was not that clear and it was shaking a little (what do you expect, taken from her brand new P&S digital camera)... It was certainly an experience... With us jumping and celebrating with the crowd when they scored... Only chagrin point I have is that there were no close-ups, so we could see the goal, but we could not really see how it got there, like Ronaldo's back flick which resulted in the 1st goal... I only managed to catch it in the Sky sports news on Sunday morning...
So... Did I enjoyed it, YES! Will I do it again... Well... Er, not in the near future... I need another 5 years to save up for another trip... This is the most expensive trip I ever had!!! The Spain trip I was on last year was only half the amount!!!! But seriously... If I can, I would really like to go again... And I would also like to visit Lake district again, this time... More time to be spent there, as in stopping and walking about more than what we did on this trip. This time, I will definitely research a bit more than what I for this trip... Then again, I was practically busy from the start of the year, and I was not even in town for the month of March, kind of hard to do the type of research that I want to...
So, my last leg of photos is, of course, on Old Trafford!

This is the view of the stadium from the place where I was seated for the match... Now you know why I could not get a very good close up on the players!!!!

Despite the weather was holding well at the start of the match, soon, it started to rain, and by this time, it was pouring. You could see a little on how heavy it was... It was still raining when I left the stadium 2 and half hours after the match ended!

A different angle of the Sir Matt Busby statue, he is the most famous manager for starting the road to fame for Manchester United. I believe Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager for MU, next to him. Maybe next time they would have something to commemorate Ferguson, after he retires.

They hang the players shirt in the dressing room for the stadium tour, so that you would be able to know where the players would sit when they are in the dressing room. These are 2 most sought-after place to take photos with... Oh, and next to Rooney, after the bend, is Giggs'.

The team... Well, from 2006/07 season... This should be the most photographed wall, as it is found in the entrance of the Megastore, and it is on the slope from the entrance to the merchandise display area. So that's why it looks tilted!
Oh... Just something to tease the Liverpudlian supporters that I know, and had not been to Anfield... La La La La... I think they know who they are...
Oh yes, just for the record... I could go to Old Trafford with my eyes closed by the end of the trip... Why? Well, I had taken 5 trips to Old Trafford from City Centre!!!
Being anxious about my match tickets as I had not received it by the time I left for UK, we decided to visit there, familiarise ourselves with the route, and to collect the tickets. I guess we felt better if we had the tickets in our hands... So that was the 1st trip. We came back to hotel empty handed... The tickets were not ready, and since the package includes a 10% discount, we decided not to buy any merchandise yet...
2nd trip was right after we got back into Manchester from Lake District on Friday. We were at the hotel, watching the Sky sports news and they featured the pre-game press conference and the newscaster was mentioning that the game was tomorrow!! We were shocked and confused, so we decided to make the trip to find out, as well as collect the tickets and do the stadium/museum tour. Well, we did find out that it was on sat, at 5.15pm, we did not collect the tickets as it seems that we can only collect it on the match day itself!!!! So, we proceed for the stadium/museum tour - it was fully booked till Sunday 4 pm! So, we paid for the 4 pm stadium tour on Sunday and left.
The match was our 3rd trip.
Our 4th trip was the stadium/museum tour, and we were told to do the museum tour at 3 pm. However, what we did not know is the trading time in UK is only up to 4.30pm on Sunday, so we only got to Old Trafford at 3pm, did the museum tour which was followed by the stadium tour. By the time the tour ended, the megastore was already closed AND we had not bought our merchandise as yet...
The final, and 5th, trip was the next day, which basically to buy the stuff...
Oh, and because of the 5th trip we had to make, we had to cut short our time in Liverpool. Had wanted to go around the town, photo session, but... we could only managed to get to Anfield, buy whatever stuff requested (apparently, my cousin had a longer list of stuff to buy from there!!!), get back to city centre, have lunch and took a bus ride round the city center area and then take the train back to Manchester so that we can finally get our stuff from Megastore!!!
Well... That's the end of it all... I really enjoyed the trip, took lots of photos, but it seems only about 52 of them managed to made the cut... I had only a single call from work and that call would have been avoided if only they were diligent enough to plow through the installation slides that I had made as everything I knew about the installation and technical setup of the system is in the slides!!!! Sigh... Don't start me on this topic... Anyway, I had also spent about say, almost 200 quid on (DVD) shopping... another 200 on souvenirs, and stuff for mother, friends and colleagues...
I guess there will not be anymore trips till I could save enough... Sigh... Either that or go on tours instead of free and easy (gasp!!!)




1 comment:
wah lau, suan me right..
Post a Comment