Monday, June 20, 2005

What a Day!!!

The flight is now over the Indian Ocean. with about 3 more hours before reaching SG. Surprisingly I am able to at least have about 6 - 7 hours of sleep. A feat since I only had about 2 hours on the flight out to Newark. Interestingly, the flight is such that SQ flies from SG to Newark over the Pacific (hitting Alaska, not sure if flew over the Artic area, but definitely Anchorage) and they the flight back from Newark to SG is flying through Alantic and over Europe-India. So, actually, I have flew over the entire globe in about 36 hours... All in a trip!

Well, time in Chicago is now past, into memories. It was a good 2 weeks. Hitting a hot spell till 2 days before flying back. It went back to about 65 degrees farenheit - considered as cold for my standard. At least it did not give me a cold front where it could drop to about 2 degrees celcius as my last trip in 2003.

Kind of funny to be asking for suggestions on what to do with 5 hours before heading to airport and nothing much I could do... In the end, I went to a Nature Scantuary in Scheumburg. Took some pictures including trying to get a good shot of bees busy at work... I find that bees in different parts of the world looks different... The ones that I have seen here, is really like those bumble bees that we see in the cartoons - yellow with black stripes... or was it black with yellow stripes? Whatever... It's those that are immortalised in Disney cartoons of the past... It's quite fascinating to see them flying from one flower to the other... Trying to glean pollen from those flowers... I think I spent about 30 mins trying to get a clear shot of the bee, but I have to admit the shots were not to my satisfaction. If I use the wide angle lens, I had to get near to the bee and that's not in my books. When I use the zoom one (75-300mm) somehow it does not focus that beautifully to get a nice shot... Maybe it's just me. Furthermore, I did not bring any tripod or monopod for this trip. Maybe I should have and could have done this better.

Well, they are about to serve breakfast... with about 2 to 2 and half hours of flight left... Get to taste a breakfast created for SQ by the chef better known as "Ah Yat" and his abalone dishes... I think... that's what written in the menu, if I remember correctly...

Boy my luggage is filled with huge boxes and not much goodies from my trip... 1 blouse from Ralf Lauren, 2 pair of Timberland shoes, Shure e2c in-ear phones, 2 CDs and a few DVDs... But did not get what my mom was asking for... belt and handbag. Hey, if I cannot find my own, what can I do to get one for her... I don't even know what kind of design would she like... Put it this way... if you want me to get something, please make sure I get the model and brand. Don't ask me to simply get anyone. It does not work with me - I need specifics, or you don't get your request!!! Lousy shopper... Can't help it... Unless you are talking about the stuff that I know very well...

Ok.. the turbulance is getting a bit out of hand and I am hungry... time to shut down...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well... Looks like my my gut feelings were right.... Apparently, my luggage loves US that much that it decided to stay another day or two (of course, courtesy of UA, who has been kindly agreed to hold on to it till then). Nice isn't it? Well, who wants to come back to a hot and humid weather where they could enjoy a much milder weather with nice humidity level....

However, to people like me, whose entire work clothes are in that luggage, well.... it's not a happy thing. Furthermore, it also housed my "presentable" t-shirts and jeans as well.... So... What am I going to do for the next few days till I get my luggage back is a very good question.... Have not decided yet, but I need to make a phone call to my travel insurance and see...

You know... I always thought that these things do not happen to me (for so many years of travel)... Well, I am sorely wrong! It's nice to know that you could be wrong at times isn't it? Makes you human and humble!!!

Ah well.... There isn't much to do or say that could reverse the situation... Next time, I think I would prefer to be an irritating customer than to allow such luggage delays to happen again... I rather pester the desk at the gate to ensure that my luggage is in or at least on the way into the carrier than to be sitting here, complaining about it and not able to do anything... Depsite the fact that I would usually hate to be a bother, but well, lesson learned.

No comments: