Thursday, January 01, 2009

Gone & Done It

I have finally caved in and gone out to shop - I now have a DFI X58 mobo, i7 processor, gfx card, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 800W PSU sitting in my room, awaiting me to setup. Started by reading the mobo manual, and then remembered that I forgot to get them to seat the processor into the mobo... So, I will have to DIY and follow the manual in the i7 processor box to seat it. Interestingly, there is no mention of thermal paste to be placed on the processor before placing the heatsink over it. That means there must be some thermal paste on the part of the heatsink, but I always wondered if those paste is good enough or should I get some paste which is supposedly better than the default one.

Till I get it up and running, I am still using the old one, and keep changing the BIOS to the correct setting everytime I start it. I had to transfer some files into the new HDD, so that I could use the old one as the new rig's OS - smaller size in HDD space. The old one is 160GB, so it's just nice to be used as OS drive as I will be using Vista in this new rig.

The only hitch I think I would have is - where to house the new rig. I had not purchased a new casing as I cannot seems to find a casing that I would want to get. I can't get the Full Tower ones as it's just too large (and I have an old one still around, had not thrown it out of the house yet). I have not found a Mid size one that fits my dimension requirements. I don't which for it to be small as the heat would be higher if there is not enough space for the heat to dissipate quickly; however, most Mid size ones are considered a little small to me. So, I am still searching.

Meantime, I just might have to rig it in the full tower casing for the time being, which could turn out to be 2 years before I remember to get a new casing. :D

Oh well, this should keep me occupied for a while, installation of the rig, then new OS installation, then installing the stuff to bring it back to usable stage :P I do hope the software will work in a 64bit Vista OS. Heck, I need to check all the software I had used to make sure it stills runs in 64bit.

No comments: