Monday, September 22, 2008

Mamma Mia!

By now you should know that I am an ABBA fan... Why? Well, despite not having watch much movies lately, I still managed (actually make the effort) to watch the latest movie based on a musical which in turn was produced using 20plus songs from ABBA. That was also with a forewarning that some songs could be manged by some actor as he clearly can't sing!!!! (Got a short snip of it off Amazon's page of the Soundtrack album)

So how was it... Well... I would love to go to Greece - someone commented that it's a huge Greece tourism board advertisement, and I guess I would agree to it... :P The songs are there, lovely as it is, there were a lot of stuff to keep us laughing (Ok, I know me and my companions were laughing, not sure about the rest, we were too busy laughing away to take note)... Apparently there were changes from the musical in terms of songs, they took out "Knowing You, Knowing Me", "One Of Us", "The Name of The Game" as well as "Under Attack". in replacement, they had Pierce Brosnan singing "When All Is Said and Done"! You can read all kind of stuff on the movie and the musical on wiki!!! One thing to add... Colin firth is still Colin Firth, how is that they keep placing him in quite similar role (and him accepting it) is beyond my comprehension...

*No, I don't know about all these information till I read it off wiki. I do know that there were some changes in the movie, but could not say what... Anyway I was too busy looking at Greece locations to take notices of anything else, along with the song and all. I cringe a little when someone sang... and to think he had, what, 3 songs to sing!?!??! :O *

So, would I recommend it? Well, if you are ABBA fan, I guess sure why not, if you tolerate some wobbly singing... Others, if you want to leave your brain at the door, this is a nice, beautiful sceneries movie with some laughs and jokes (if you get it), why not? If however, you wanted a little more in depth and relevant movies to pour your brains on... Better not!

Hey, it's only about 2 hours of it, and if you don't mind it at all, you should... Maybe you would go back and listen to all the ABBA's recordings again, if you had bought their albums...

Oh I forgot to add, it was very close, not entirely since the change of some sequence and songs, to the musical... They even added the last section where the gals (and then the guys) sang Dancing Queen as well as Waterloo while the credits were rolling! (It was hilarious, seriously when you see them dressing up in costumes that were similar to ABBA 70's colourful costumes).

Now, the question I have is... Would I be getting the DVD!?! Hmmm... Probably yes, but well, we will have to wait till it is out, then we can talk about it... Maybe in Blue-ray instead of the standard DVD... Hmmm... More decisions when it comes... Till then...

* Oh yeah, it seems to bomb with a lot of reviewers, but the people seems to love it... Based on what is read in the internet...*

1 comment:

nanie said...

So should I catch it? hoho probably not. the only ABBA song I like is Dancing Queen.