Friday, September 19, 2008

After a while...

I think I am in a rather "low" feeling lately that I seems to be "binging" on Jap food... For 2 weeks in a row I have been going to Tomo (Hokkaido Sushi in M Hotel, which is a different focus is open by Thomas as well, and the next one, coming up in Nov, at The Sail, and focus is on cafe style-like food - sandwiches, etc) for Friday dinners. Maybe it's also because my usual Friday dinner partner is busy these 2 weeks - work activities and building castles (or dry swimming as some would put it)...

With all the issues at work - which leads to no enthusiasm for work, and since I tend to pamper myself a lot when I am not happy... by eating! (yes, I noticed that it's a habit - Not happy, eat; Happy, eat; Nothing to do, eat!) Isn't it a wonder that the weight is creeping up the scale and don't seems to be heading downwards?!?!?
However, I have to say this - The Uni I had there is simply the best I ever had so far in my journey of Japanese Food - creamy and sweet, unlike those you get in the chain stores like Sakai Sushi/Sushi Teh. I have heard about the great food (including Uni) my friends/relatives had when they are over in Japan, but I have not got that chance of getting there to taste it. So, I guess I have to be contended with the food I get here. One more to log down into the travel wish list...

Maybe it's also that 2 months of traveling, especially the last month where it was Alor Setar which basically means you eat to survive rather than you live to eat, as well, there isn't much variety there for you to chose... It was either KFC, Pizza Hut, Kenny Rogers or Peranakan food; and we had Peranakan food from the same shop for the whole entire week for lunch!!! Dinner was no better as it was either the same Peranakan food shop, Thai food or Seafood (which we had to drive to the next town - Jitra)... The only good part is that of the seafood at Jitra - good food at very affordable pricing... A meal for 9 people, which includes 9 totally deep-fried catfishes (fish bones can be eaten as well! Very yummy!), crab tang hoon, soft shell crab, steam fish, toufu, vegetables and another 2 more dishes which I cannot remember, and drinks (coconuts, ambulah with sour prunes, cans of coke for some; and sometimes 2 drinks per person) - all comes up to only RM100-110!

Ok... With the current economy situation... Maybe it's time to tighten the belt a bit... Especially if I want to travel again!!! My Mar-Apr holidays seems like a decade away despite it being only, what, less than half a year ago? There is still more out there to go.... Canadian Rocky Mountains; Eastern Europe; Other parts of Western Europe which I have not been to, and still a lot to go; Turkey; Egypt (The rest of Middle East is on back burner); Israel; New Zealand; Hawaii, and many other parts of US, including Alaska; Bhutan (although I am not certain if I could take the altitude - I seems to have issues with altitude); Silk Road; All of South America; come to think of it, most of Central America; Iceland (are they part of Western Europe?!?!?);
Antartica (if there is such chance!); Uluru in NT, Australia; Safari in Africa (Not sure where as yet); Not forgetting Japan for the food!!! So many places, so little time/money!!!!

Let's see if I will get a chance to see Lake Titsee in Nov... No news as yet...

2 comments:

ShutterBug said...

ahhh... I see that you have been seduced by the alluring TOMO restaurant.. hehehehe.... good right? I think 'good' is a weak word to describe the gastronomical experience there :p

anyway, let me know when you want to go Tomo again :)

Visible, Invisible said...

Tomo? Anytime... But I am, due to the current economic situation, trying to limit to once a month max.