Monday, February 06, 2006

One of my favourite past time - FOOD!

Yup, People's Park Food Centre is back in business! Had my dinner there yesterday at TianJin Fong Kee where I had ordered Hot and Spicy soup, "Zha Jian" noodles and 20 pieces of dumplings (jiao zi). Before any questions raised on the amount of food - I had my mum with me; in fact it was her suggestion that we go there for dinner!

This store has always been famous for their dumplings and the other Northern Chinese cusine dishes. Apparently, it's so good that they have their own website (where you can even ask them to cater for your functions)! What I did not know is that they have 3 different stores including 1 store in Serangoon Gardens Food Centre!

Anyway, coming back to the food - somehow it always happens, and it's happening to this store as well. The Hot and Spicy soup is no longer that delicious and felt a bit watery; and the noodles was ok, just a bit salty to my liking. The saving grace was the dumplings, it is also the star of the dishes for that store IMHO and still is! I think I had about 13 out of the 20 pieces of the dumplings. We even sms my aunt, who is in Penang, that we had that... Somehow, we tend to go for some interesting food when she is not around... I guess it's easier to decide for 2 person instead of 3, also the $$$ spend would be greater! ahahahahahhaah

Talking about that... We also had a good dinner at Pontini on Sat nite (and yes, I think my mum sms her about it as well!) where I had one of their signature dishes -
Linguine with Maine Lobster. Starters was this seafood soup which was great as well and finish it off with warm chocolate cake (which was a bit of disappointment, as they seems to be less generous with the amount of chocolate... I mean you would expect chocolate to be oozing out when you get to the core of the cake rite?) Slurped! Mother kept it safe with a sea bass dish and even she finds the soup delicious! The best thing about the dinner? The cost is reduced to only approximately 72 dollars - to share between the 2 of us.... (Yes, there is a catch of course... You got to be on this A la carte program)

Oh well... I am very statisfied with the food I had this weekend... Wonder what will the next bring... Especially when I will be in...... Germany!!! Yup, flying into Frankfurt and taking their Bahn train down to Freiburg...

No... It will not be giantic frankfurters/sausages and pork knuckles!!!




4 comments:

mummybean said...

Don't be too sure that it won't be sausages and pork knuckles! :) Maybe lots of beer too?

What ala carte programme was that? I also love the seafood soup at Pontini - always order it when I'm there too!

Visible, Invisible said...

Erm... If you click on the link on the "ala carte" word... you will find the answer...

Beer yes... Even wine, since it so cold!!!! But definitely not sausages and pork knuckles... Because I have been there twice and had only once a sausage in the Christmas market... See my blog on my Christmas trip in Germany in Dec 2004...

naniecheng said...

wah sounds sedap. will have to visit.

the great thing about blogs is when frens introduce nice place to eat. how do i get to these 2 places?

Visible, Invisible said...

Er... Actually hor... Website got address what...

Anyway... You know the People's Park OG??? It's the hawker centre on the 1st floor next to it and it's just finished renovation... Nearest MRT - Chinatown.

Pontini is 2nd floor at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. Er... Diagonally opposite the previous known as "glass/concorde hotel" now Holiday Inn Atrium. If you know how to go Great World City... It's just end of that road turning into Havelock Road... Carpark entry is the same road as Zouk's...