All I Want For Christmas is You
(From "Love Actually" Soundtrack,
Written by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff)
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true...
All I want for Christmas
Is you...
(From "Love Actually" Soundtrack,
Written by Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff)
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true...
All I want for Christmas
Is you...
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you...
You
I won't ask for much this Christmas
I won't even wish for snow
I'm just gonna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake to
Hear those magic reindeer click
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you...
You
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me the one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me
I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just want to see baby
Standing right outside my door
I just want him for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is
You
And you and you and you and you
All I want for Christmas is you
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you...
You
I won't ask for much this Christmas
I won't even wish for snow
I'm just gonna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake to
Hear those magic reindeer click
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you...
You
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me the one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me
I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just want to see baby
Standing right outside my door
I just want him for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is
You
And you and you and you and you
All I want for Christmas is you
It was during a short shopping trip immediately after lunch time when I heard this sound played over the sound system in the shopping mall, and for the life of me I cannot remember where I was. Not surprising since I had just landed in the early morning from my Australia (work) trip, I had only like 2 hours of light sleep on the plane and another 4 hours of sleep (it was meant to be 6 hours but because I forgot to switch back the time zone on my phone, my alarm rang 2 hours earlier than I expected.... Blame it on the lack of rest!!!!). My first thought was - All I want for Christmas is to be home!!! - which I promptly sms Tehsis on this.
For the first time in my life, as far as I can recall, all I wanted for Christmas was to be home. Now, when I was young, Christmas was a time where I would receive presents for no other particular reason except that it's Christmas. As time goes by and I grew up, Christmas became another day of holiday which does not have much meaning as a student, it's holiday period, so there isn't much sense to it. However, it became a precious holiday when we started to work and we don't have much time of our own, especially if you have only 14 days of annual leave. Of course, Christmas is also a time to celebrate the birth of Christ and because He is born and died for our sins on the cross more than 2000 years ago, for those that believe in Him as our personal Saviour and Lord are saved, etc.... So from early years till now, Christmas was not really something that we would, in many ways, "treasure".
Perhaps because I was a rather homey person since young, that when I started working (and with more liberty!!!) I was going out more often than not, especially after having the car - felt that I had spent enough time at home when young - and then more recently, my work took me out of country to different places. Even when I was studying overseas, I had not been particularly hit by the fact that I was not home for Christmas - perhaps for that year, I was invited by my friends to spend Christmas at their home that the homely feeling of Christmas was still there.....
I guess the work trips that I have been having for the past 2 months where I am only home for weekend and then this Australia trip where I spent 1 and half weeks there, which prompted this feeling... I think I have been telling almost every of my Australian colleagues about wanting to be home for Christmas. Perhaps the novelty of travelling and, most importantly, the recent non-stop travelling that I have been doing that somehow I had miss home. Missed being home for home-cooked meals, the companionship with my mum, the easy evenings where I don't have to VPN into office network just to download emails and catch up with it (which reminds me to order my DVDs or I might not see it at all) or even the nightly web surfing from my PC in my room (although it's really messy in the room and on my table....) and I guess, missing the familiar feel of home, no matter how messy it is... As all you have is hotel rooms one after the other and sometimes, like the Marriott Putrajaya where I had been staying all these while, it's has become like a second home, the surroundings are very familiar (and they are so familiar with you and having your file on hand, you don't even have to give them your credit card number to guarantee your room!!!)
Somehow I really don't know how people could travel 9 mths out of a year and does not feel anything about it. Don't they miss being home? Don't they find the need to keep adapting to the different hotel rooms and environment a bit tiring? Don't they miss some of the food which they cannot find when they travel?
Don't know about you but I am now seeking out food which I cannot find overseas and no matter how oily or unhealthy it is, I am having it.... Perhaps when you aged, you find that you are begining to be more fussy about stuff and more resistance to changes and need of adaptation, etc, etc, etc....
Just to end this note... I have officially travelled 50,000 miles this year for I have qualified for Gold status in my frequent flyer program!!!
Perhaps that's why I'm wirting this.... I have travelled too much for the first time in my life!!!!
P.S. - Am flying again this coming Tuesday and I just got a call from the company's credit card company.... I have just pass my credit limit!!!! Hmmm... So how am I going to fund my this coming trip?!?!? Cause even if I was to put in my T&L, my boss is only coming back in January!!! ARGH!!!! Got to talk to my boss about the limit - there is no way I can be travelling like what I am doing and yet not having a higher limit.... Also, I got to seriously consider the access card - I should be getting it so that I don't have to queue with the rest, especially when I travel back during the airport peak period!!!
2 comments:
Hey, I never realised that "all i want for christmas is you" is part written by maraih carey! always thoguht it was an older song than that... :)
Poor you! I know that feeling of having travelled too much - spent almost 2 weeks of every month in 2004 in KL... and that's still way less than you! Just wanted to be home too.
Hang in there! And Merry Christmas to you :) *Hugs*
Actually there are 2 versions... The old one was "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"... Which every little kid would have been able to sing it... And then this one... I was as surprised as you have been.... Er... And I just found out there is another by Kenny Chesney and it's "All I Want for Christmas is a Real Good Tan"!?!?!?! Oh... There is more?!??! Gee....
And someone wrote a parody on this song as well... Hmmm....
Post a Comment