Saturday, November 17, 2012

North to Alaska - Day 1: Singapore to Vancouver

Time flies and the day of departure draws near. Shirley and Peter had, a few days before, departed for Vancouver and the Rockies. Followed their trail by means of Peter's photos and details that he placed in his Facebook page. I now know when I head to Canada, I want to make sure I make a trip to Kelowna for their vineyards. :P

As we were in the cab, heading for the airport when mother asked: "Jackets, where are the jackets?" Oops. It seems we have left our jackets back at home!!! Argh! The cab turned around and headed back to pick up the jackets. We seems to be starting a habit of leaving jackets behind - a few months back, I was just about to board the cab, when I remembered the jacket was missing.

Because of the u-turn we had to do, we were a bit late in getting into the airport than we planned, but good thing was that we were left the house pretty early - due to mother's insistence of going early, so we were still very much on time and with plenty of time to do our check-in and all. Good thing about China Airlines is that they allow online check-in, so we were able to select our seats.

Today's flight path was Singapore - Taipei (2 hr stop over) - Vancouver. Flight was ok, had a chance to catch up with movies - Green Hornet as well as No Strings Attached. I am sure I had some others, maybe it was some concerts or tv shows. If not, it was just plain music all the way... The selection is pretty good, better than some, and with VOD selection, while it does not match in terms of variety to SQ flights, it's still better than most. The aircon on the other hand, seems to be on the warm side. It seems like the aircon did not work during the entire flight, I did not really use the blanket that the airline provided - in fact after a while it felt warm!

Taipei was an ok airport, nothing to shout about, especially on the food part. Heck, I think it's seriously lack in that, but then again it might still edge out US airport transit area. We also had problems in finding food at the airport, perhaps we did not ask around. What I don't get is, why are the food there so salty!?!? Everything I eat is basically salty, so much so that I really had no appetite to finish the food. Thank goodness the meals on the flight was not that bad.

Finally at almost 8 pm, we landed in Vancouver airport, and managed to get our stuff from the belt, got pass the immigration without much issues, and then look for the location to get our free shuttle to the hotel - Accent Inn. By then we were all very hungry, had a quick checked in (thank goodness there were not a lot of guests waiting to check in at the front desk), dropped our luggage in the room, and head out, with our stomach growling, looking for food.

Of all things we were to eat in Vancouver, our first meal was McDonalds!!!! The only difference is that they have Angus beef for their beef patties, which we ordered. While the quality or taste should be the same in all locations, the fries seems to taste a little different from Singapore. Should have gone to the steak house just a short walk away from McDonalds, but we thought we would have a "lighter" meal, so chose Macs instead. The meals was nothing to shout about, but well, we ate and headed back to hotel to sleep.

No comments: