Day 6 - I have say upfront - I am not a LOTR fan. In fact, I have only scan through LOTR - FOTR while on a flight to somewhere which I cannot remember. The other 2 movies, which make it a trilogy, I have not even watch it. So, I don't know the movie well, I don't know the places well. BUT, I was told that I could drive to Deer Park Heights to view the location. Since I was not on the heli-hike, I thought, why not spend that amount on something else, and I was game to be on an outing which show the Wakatipu basin (it was a toss between this or Glenorchy, but Glenorchy was fully booked). So, early in the morning at 8 am, I was waiting outside, on the driveway for Nomad Safaris for Safari of the Scenes 4WD tour (Wakatipu basin).
One of the places we went was Kawarau Gorge, where filming took place for the Argonath, or Pillars of the Kings. On the location, where the Pillars were computer-generated into, you could see the Kawarau Bridge, which is becomes famous for being the world's first permanent commercial bungee site.
One of the places we went was Kawarau Gorge, where filming took place for the Argonath, or Pillars of the Kings. On the location, where the Pillars were computer-generated into, you could see the Kawarau Bridge, which is becomes famous for being the world's first permanent commercial bungee site.
While we were there, there were a couple of people doing the buggy jumping, so we do get a couple of shots of that. Then it was off to Arrowtown, where filming of Gladden Fields took place.
This is where the fun begins, we were taken off the road into the only way to get from Arrowtown to Macetown. The 4WD cross gravel roads and streams to a location where it was used to filmed as Ford of Bruinen.
It was also here where we had morning tea, and tried our hand on gold panning. No, did not find any gold, although there were one or two speck (small tiny speck of no consequence) of it, according to the guide. Skipper Canyon was next.

Rock formation along the Skipper Road which surprising looked like the side view of.... yes, a gorilla and somewhat like King Kong! No!??!?!
We drove further into the place, till we come to a place which is the site of the first hotel along this stretch of road. I was told there were around 51 hotels along this road when this area were in its hay-days. This is what we found...
Final spot along the same road before heading back to Queenstown.

Somewhere along Skipper Road, overlooking Long Gully and Green Gate Saddle, if my GPS record is correct!
Back in Queenstown, not knowing what to do for the afternoon, it was back to browsing for activity to do, and while I could have gone for that horse ride - Ride of the Rings, decided it was too expensive, considering I had spend half of the money on the morning activity, so, finally decided on clay target shooting. Don't ask me why I did that. Till today, I have no idea why I did that, but the results from the shoot makes me more confused.
You see, I had a chance to do clay target shooting before in 1995, in Scotland. At that time, I had no problems with targets heading the sky, but had problems with targets running along the ground. In fact my score was 10/20 - 7 in sky, 3 on ground. I think this time I was using a shotgun, and that shotgun was pretty heavy. Because my results were the same, except that... Yup, 7 on ground, 3 in sky! The view while shooting was pretty good, no you don't get to see mountains and valleys, but the dramatic sky makes it nice.
You see, I had a chance to do clay target shooting before in 1995, in Scotland. At that time, I had no problems with targets heading the sky, but had problems with targets running along the ground. In fact my score was 10/20 - 7 in sky, 3 on ground. I think this time I was using a shotgun, and that shotgun was pretty heavy. Because my results were the same, except that... Yup, 7 on ground, 3 in sky! The view while shooting was pretty good, no you don't get to see mountains and valleys, but the dramatic sky makes it nice.
Did I mention that this place was actually either in, or just next to a deer farm, and we had to drive pass the different enclosure to get to the place.
Day 7 - An early morning as I had to get to the bus stop by 6.50 am for my ride from Queenstown to Te Anau. Boy, was it hard to get up so early, being not a morning person, and with 3 luggage to bring - 1 large luggage where all my clothes were in, 1 small luggage where it was filled with gifts and stuff for the Lauries, and 1 small (ok, not that small) backpack where all my camera stuff were in! Despite the fact that the place was only around 300m away (down a slope), I had to get a taxi to bring me and my luggage to the bus stop.
Finally, after 2 hours of ride, which first hour was spent sleeping (all of us in the bus!), the other hour was spent talking to whoever is left in the bus as some got off to be transferred to another bus as they were heading towards Invercargill. There was a Swedish gal who had been in NZ for more than 2 month, and is traveling for almost 1 year! There was a German guy who has been traveling for 4 months, and only will be back home in Nov!! Gee, how the heck do they do it? Don't even have leave to hit 1 month, let alone 1 year!!! As we chat, time flies and next thing we know - we had arrived in Te Anau! Said our goodbyes, and each of us went on with our travels.
I waited for around 30 minutes for the Lauries as they had to travel up from Edendale at the i-site building. It was great to meet up with them again, as well as, to get to know their 2 kids. We then went on to their friend's place, facing the lake, and where we were to stay there for the next 2 days. Coming from Singapore, I have to say, that was a magnificent place, and if this house were in Singapore, with that kind of location - it would have cost a bomb!
Imagine a living area that is as large as the entire 5-rm flat, and has a fireplace (although it's not actual wood burning one) as well as a pool table! The dinning area is at least 2 rooms length, and the kitchen would have occupied a decent living area. Not to mention the rooms on the ground floor as well as rooms on the 2nd floor and there is a garage joined to the house!!! *Drool*
Anyway, once we settled down, it was time for lunch and then onwards toward Milford Sound. As we were driving along Te Anau Milford Highway, we saw tour buses stopping along the stretch of area, and loads of tourist got down and started to take some snapshots, well, it turns out to be Eglinton Valley, and it was indeed a good place for photography (yes, we stopped too!).
Finally, after 2 hours of ride, which first hour was spent sleeping (all of us in the bus!), the other hour was spent talking to whoever is left in the bus as some got off to be transferred to another bus as they were heading towards Invercargill. There was a Swedish gal who had been in NZ for more than 2 month, and is traveling for almost 1 year! There was a German guy who has been traveling for 4 months, and only will be back home in Nov!! Gee, how the heck do they do it? Don't even have leave to hit 1 month, let alone 1 year!!! As we chat, time flies and next thing we know - we had arrived in Te Anau! Said our goodbyes, and each of us went on with our travels.
I waited for around 30 minutes for the Lauries as they had to travel up from Edendale at the i-site building. It was great to meet up with them again, as well as, to get to know their 2 kids. We then went on to their friend's place, facing the lake, and where we were to stay there for the next 2 days. Coming from Singapore, I have to say, that was a magnificent place, and if this house were in Singapore, with that kind of location - it would have cost a bomb!
Imagine a living area that is as large as the entire 5-rm flat, and has a fireplace (although it's not actual wood burning one) as well as a pool table! The dinning area is at least 2 rooms length, and the kitchen would have occupied a decent living area. Not to mention the rooms on the ground floor as well as rooms on the 2nd floor and there is a garage joined to the house!!! *Drool*
Anyway, once we settled down, it was time for lunch and then onwards toward Milford Sound. As we were driving along Te Anau Milford Highway, we saw tour buses stopping along the stretch of area, and loads of tourist got down and started to take some snapshots, well, it turns out to be Eglinton Valley, and it was indeed a good place for photography (yes, we stopped too!).
Then we moved on and the next stop was Mirror Lake. Maybe I was not the correct spot for it, but I was pretty disappointed with the size of the lake - It was small!!! However, it still does the mirroring job very well!
Moving forward, we were heading toward the Milford tunnel when we saw a sign that says lookout, so Philip drove into the lookout, and it was a good stop. One issue with that was, I forgot to take note of the lookout. I thought it was facing Key Summit, near the Divide, but I think I am wrong. I know where I took the photo, but the Google Maps are not detailed as the trekking ones. I need to check those Routeburn Track trekking maps to get the right place. On hindsight, I should have bought the map when I was Auckland.

I know where I took this shot and the direction I am facing but I have no idea where it is exactly on the map as Google Map is not detailed enough!!!
Finally we reach Milford Sound, but the last exploring cruise has left the harbour. So, it was to be an afternoon tea, and then head back to Te Anau. On the way, back, we stopped at Christie Falls for a photo. Marissa and kids were in the car (kids were sleeping), while me and Philip grabbed our cameras and started to take some shots.
Day 8 - Another early morning as I got up by 7 am (without my alarm ringing!!!), and decided to head towards the Lake and take some dawn photos of the lake. The problem with that was, the IR shots did not turn out well as the light was not sufficient enough to have a decent shot without much noise. It was quite misty - I was told it was mist - as well. However, that also gives certain character to the sky, which translate very well to photos. It was a nice way to start the day, and surprisingly there were some people jogging along the lake at that time!
Back in the house, had my very first NZ porridge breakfast. Apparently, it's a staple in NZ, as I am told, and that was my breakfast for the time when I was with the Lauries. No, it's not made of rice, like those porridge we know of in Singapore. Instead, it's actually cooked rolled oats. I had it with Dark Muscovado Sugar, and it tasted pretty good (it was also the start of overstuffing myself with food, due to generosity of the Lauries - they kept feeding me, even the breakfast were like split into 3 course - porridge, followed by toast with butter and/or jam, and finally a drink - usually tea, since I don't drink coffee!).
It was then a short journey to Manapouri, where I would join the day tour to Doubtful Sound. The cruise was split into 3 parts. First was a cruise in Lake Manapouri to West Arm.
It was then a short journey to Manapouri, where I would join the day tour to Doubtful Sound. The cruise was split into 3 parts. First was a cruise in Lake Manapouri to West Arm.
Then it was a bus journey, passing through Wilmot Pass, where we get a view of Doubtful Sound. When we first reached the lookout, it was not like what you see in the photo. In fact, it was covered with the mist, that we could hardly see the outline. 5 minutes, later, the place was suddenly cleared and what a view!
Finally, we reached Deep Cove for the start of a 3 hours cruise (which I think is still short!!)
As you can see in the photos, the Sounds seems to be rather misty and cloudy. Not sure if it's because it's nearer to winter, so it's more cloudy and misty than normal, or this is the usual weather in the Sounds.
The cruise came to a point, and they shut down the engine, to allow you to listen and hear how the Sound will sound like, without any man-made sound.
The cruise came to a point, and they shut down the engine, to allow you to listen and hear how the Sound will sound like, without any man-made sound.

This shot was taken somewhere near the place where they stop the engine entirely so that you can listen to the quietness of the Sound and nothing else (actually, it was quiet, but yet, it was noisy because of all the waterfalls! You could literally heard all the sound of the waters hitting the ground at high speed).
On the way back to Manapouri, we were given some time to spend viewing the Manapouri Power Station which is the largest hydro plant in NZ and was be built at West Arm. However, most of the power is used by an aluminum smelting plant located somewhere near Bluff (160 km away)!
Day 9 - It was time to say goodbye to the house we were staying and head to Edendale, via the Southern Scenic Route. The first stop we did was at Clifden Suspension Bridge, built in 1989, opened 1899 to replace the punt used by early sheep stations.
Day 9 - It was time to say goodbye to the house we were staying and head to Edendale, via the Southern Scenic Route. The first stop we did was at Clifden Suspension Bridge, built in 1989, opened 1899 to replace the punt used by early sheep stations.
Then onwards to McCracken Rest, where according to some information, we are supposedly able to see Hector's dolphins. However, I think it was a rest day for them, as we saw only ocean waves pounding on the rocks.

McCracken Rest, they have a signpost to show the distance from this place to some areas like Stewart Island, etc
We headed to Riverton, and had our lunch there, in an area which is near the beach (Taramera Bay). It has a playground which Chloe and Ben were having some fun with the swing, see-saw, etc. Ben has fun time running after a number of seagulls all over the playground - he saw the seagull, run towards it, the seagull flew to a short distance away, and then he saw another seagull nearby and run after that seagull, and on, and on, and on. Never gave up, despite the fact that the seagulls once realised that he is on to them, they would flew a distance away immediately. So, he could not even get near one of them! It was fun seeing how he runs after them. Took a video of it using the video mode in the Canon P&S.
Then it was a video session at the Cultural Heritage Museum (Te Hikoi) in Riverton center, followed by a short stop at a place to shop for Paua and Jade souvenirs for mother, aunt and all. Time to head for Bluff.
Then it was a video session at the Cultural Heritage Museum (Te Hikoi) in Riverton center, followed by a short stop at a place to shop for Paua and Jade souvenirs for mother, aunt and all. Time to head for Bluff.
After photos at the signpost, headed into the cafe for some afternoon tea, and, of course, oysters. Bluff oysters apparently are very famous and popular in NZ. I have heard so much about it, so it has to be tasted, as part of the "must-do" in Bluff. Frankly, I have to say, while it's very fresh, it tasted the same as the other oysters. Ok, I am not an oyster buff, so as long as it's fresh, and does not leave any after-taste, I am fine with it.
P.S. - Despite not being an LOTR fan, I bought a book which describe all the locations which LOTR was filmed in, along with photographs to accompany it - it even has GPS locations given and it's autographed by the author! (You can only get the autographed copy from the Nomad Safaris or their shop in Queenstown centre. The price for the book is rather standard, NZD40 even if you purchased at bookstores, but not autographed.)





















No comments:
Post a Comment