Recently I have been having my usual meals at the Ichiban Boshi (with Kuriya Fish Market) at Great World City. That's my usual joint for Japanese food and I love the sashimi that I could get at the fish market. Of course this means my bill would have been rather high, especially when I come across Uni. They had introduced me to another type of Uni, which according to them is from the sea (presuming the normal ones were cultivated, much like those oysters). Man, if you like Uni, these would be even better - it's much larger in size and so much sweeter than the usual one. I have also learned that fishes have different names when they are of different size. Apparently large yellow tail is not known as Hamachi, but Burii (but then he could be explaining the fish in very simple terms...) Whatever, it was nice... However, I am saving up (or waiting to find a occasion/reason) to try out the meal at Akane (located within Japanese Association at Adam road). There is also another recommended place - Kaisan at Raffles Hotel... Drooling while blogging about them... One day... One day I will get to taste the food there... And will blog about them after it... Heh...
Ever since I been to Korea and had this wonderful BBQ meal at one of the restuarant, I have always wanted to experience that kind of meal again, but never did find one in Singapore. I have tried Crystal Jade's Korean BBQ once, but the Galbi was so-so... The ginseng chicken soup was nice (I heard some Koreans who tried it claims that it's better than those in Korea!). My mum loves the desserts (although I think those are not really traditional Korean desserts), so much that she started to experiment on her own, trying to recreate them. I have also track down all the different Korean restuarants that apparently had recently mushroomed in Singapore. However, from what I heard, the quality for them are still not as close to what you can get in Korea. Anyway, I read about this Korean BBQ restuarant that just opened at Dempsey Road, and friday, I had my dinner there. When I first heard about them, I had actually took some time from one of the days, while driving my mum back to her place, to turn into Dempsey road just to find out where the place was. It was quite easy to find, since it's facing the Napier Road... and mother had this comment about not seeing people dining in there...
Well, guess what - it was a good thing we were early that day... Apparently, they had quite a lot of reservations. We managed to get our table, and we sat down, started to look at the menu... I noticed that it's all mains, and with very little vegtables. The reason was when you ordered your mains, they would come with the side dishes, like the kimchi, and other types of pickled vegetables, and even a plate of tofu! We had like 9 side dishes,which accompanies our BBQ plate of Wagyu beef and marinated pork rib. We also ordered the popular seafood and spring onion pancake. I have noticed that this pancake seems to be very popular with Koreans and they usually would order them as part of their meals...
So how did the meal goes... While wagyu beef was not like those thinly sliced beef prime ribs that I had in Korea, it was still lovely, the marinated pork ribs were sweeter, but then I was forwarn when they recommend it, and the pancake was actually quite good. While I don't claim to be expert in Korean food, I would say my meal at this place went quite well. The only part which damper the glee was that the meal cost over $100. But then again, we are talking about Wagyu beef.... So I guess it's expected... Oh, just in case you want to try it, it's Chang Korean BBQ Restaurant at Dempsey Road (Why it seems to have a Chinese name, I have no idea).
Another food which I had been eyeing was Peking Duck. Being me, I love skins, be it chicken or duck or even pork for that matter. I love suckling pig (I have not found the ultimate one yet), and even roast duck. Give me a plate of rice with just the skin - would be heaven for me... I have also been tracking down places and tried at some of them. The issue with this peking duck is that it's usually 2 dishes and it's better if you got company... So I could only take this if I had my mum and aunt with me.... Well, till I found this restuarant where their duck is done slightly different, but the skin... Ooo... Tasted good, and each dish is always only a quarter of the duck... I'm talking about a rather new resturant off Purvis St - Tea Cusine. It was that good that we went there twice - consecutive 2 Saturdays. Funny part, we also saw a couple who was there on those 2 Sats as well! (Not sure if they went back the 3rd Sat, but I was at work after that, another long story for that) Not sure why, but mother seems to be into desserts - she is also trying her hand in making some of the desserts we had there as well! In the process, she got some of the ingredients mixed up between the ones at Crystal Jade and here...
One more place which I could get good roast duck (and skin, but not in Peking duck manner) was this duck rice stall in Ghim Moh Hawker Center. There are a few stores there selling roast duck rice (including the once famous Johnson duck), but this particular one is next to a Ipoh hor fun stall which was also once famous - the chef was on TV once introducing his hor fun. There is usually a queue at the stall, but it's not as long as the Char Kuay Teow one. It seems that this is one hawker centre that has quite a few stalls that server good stuff... Only issue is, do you have the time to queue for it... I heard the yong tau foo (think it's Hakka) there is also good, then there is this boneless chicken rice stall (which I have never tried, I usually goes to another stall which I like) Oh, if you follow the MOE ratings, like A, B, C, and D.... Please don't go there - especially the duck stall... while it's rated 'C', the queue is still long... Just like the Char Kuay Teow stall which I think got only a B. What's the worry anyway, the places here are relatively cleaner than those I could find in Penang, and I still eat those in Penang... I am still alive and kicking... Heck, I think you would have forgotten it when you first taste the food!
Oh well... I guess this explains why my waist line is still growing instead of being controlled and it's quite impossible to reduce it!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment